Thursday, September 15, 2005

The one thing I have figured out from the confirmation hearings is that Roberts is an executive branch proponent, not a conservative ideologue (or so I hope). For example, I was listening to NPR and they mentioned that Roberts was tapped to help argue Clinton's case in front of the Supreme Court. You may remember that the question was whether Paula Jones could pursue her civil suit while Clinton was an acting President. Roberts representation didn't end up happening (through no fault of his own according to NPR), but the fact that anyone termed a "conservative" would want to represent Clinton in such a high profile case indicates to me that he is mostly interested in preserving the power of the executive branch and not in pursuing some conservative agenda, and that would be a good thing, unless of course your greatest fear is of an overly powerful executive branch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're right, but Roberts does not scare me.